A support network for people diagnosed with brain tumours, their families and friends
The Brain Tumour Association of WA was established in late 2007 after a group of family and friends came together to organise a WA event as part of International Brain Tumour Awareness Week.
Previously, no formal structure existed which enabled those newly diagnosed to share and learn from others who faced a similar journey. It was from this meeting that the BTA-WA was formed in response to the clear need and desire for a support network.
BTA-WA is building a network of people. Like the wider community, members come from all walks of life, but share a common experience and understanding.
Our key aims are:
- To provide a support network for patients, their families and friends.
- To offer a local contact point for obtaining information regarding brain tumours, as well as links to the latest national and international research.
- To be a strong advocate and voice for patients and families in WA
Our organisation is volunteer run and organised with no professional staff engaged or regular funding provided. We rely on a strong membership to ensure we can provide support to our network of patients, family and friends. Whilst we’re not a fund raising organisation, donations are gratefully received. (See below).
BTA-WA events are decided by and driven by its members. We create an opportunity for people to come together – to share their stories and experiences. It’s this support which can provide comfort and inspiration.
They can be social events (like a barbecue), informal support meetings, or a more formal forum on a specific health issues or treatment. See more on our Events page.
Where our information comes from:
The Brain Tumour Association of Western Australia gratefully acknowledges the following organizations and their permission to publish information from their websites/booklets on this website:
- Cancer Council of Western Australia
- cancersupportwa.org.au/ (Western Australia)
- Cure Brain Cancer Foundation (Australia)
- Brain Tumour Alliance Australia
- International Brain Tumour Alliance
- More links here
Until our Charitable Collections License has been renewed, we request all donations be made direct to Prof. Anna Nowak (University of WA) to assist in brain tumour research programs. (See details here)
Thank you so much.